60 years Ago: Beatles Conclude Roy Orbison Tour
The Beatles finished the final leg of the Roy Orbison tour during the week of June 3, 1963, which started with a Monday concert at the Granada Cinema in Woolwich, London.
This was followed by shows at the Town Hall in Birmingham, Warwickshire on Tuesday and at the Odeon Cinema in Leeds, Yorkshire on Wednesday. After a rare and actual day off for the Beatles, the group and tour headed to Scotland for a concert at the Odeon Cinema in Glasgow. The tour concluded with a Saturday night show at the City Hall in Newcastle-upon-Tyne and a Sunday performance at King George’s Hall in Blackburn, Lancashire.
Today’s trivia questions are geography related.
- Which three cities played by the Beatles during the final week of the Roy Orbison tour as detailed above were later referenced in songs written by Paul McCartney after he left the Beatles?
- What were the Paul McCartney songs that referenced the cities?
- Which two cities played by the Beatles during the final week of the Roy Orbison tour as detailed above was later referenced in Beatles songs?
- What were the names of the songs?
- London, Birmingham and Glasgow.
- London is obviously referenced in the song “London Town.” It is also referenced, along with Glasgow and Birmingham, in the song “Helen Wheels.”
- London and Blackburn, Lancashire.
- London is referenced in “The Ballad Of John And Yoko.” Blackburn, Lancashire is referenced in “A Day In The Life.”
Leave a Comment