The Beatles sixth U.K. single and first U.K. single for 1964, Can’t Buy Me Love b/w You Can’t Do That, was released on March 20, 1964. In the United States, the same single was released by Capitol Records four days earlier on March16. The single quickly rose to the top of the charts in both countries, eventually selling over 1.5 million copies in the U.K. and over two million copies in America.
Filming for the Beatles first feature film resumed on Monday, March 16, at Twickenham Film Studios. Ringo was the only Beatles to participate in the day’s filming, which covered the scene in the canteen where he is persuaded to walk out on the group before their big television appearance. On Tuesday, the entire group was filmed at Les Ambassadeurs, a high class club where they catch Paul’s grandfather gambling. On Wednesday it was back at Twickenham for the filming of the dressing room scenes. The next two days were spent filming the movie scenes that take place in the hallways of the theater where the television special is to be broadcast.
In addition to being filmed all week, the Beatles did several interviews for BBC radio. On the evening of March 19, the group lip-synced both sides of their new single for Britain’s most famous television show that featured pop music. Both performances were shown the following week on March 25. On Friday night, the group appeared live on the television show Ready, Steady, Go! They lip-synced both sides of their new single plus the album track It Won’t Be Long. And, if that wasn’t enough, the group attended a luncheon on Thursday at the Variety Club of Great Britain, where they were given the award for Show Business Personalities of 1963.
This week’s questions pertain to the Beatles during the third week of March 1964.
- In the film A Hard Day’s Night, who persuades Ringo to walk out on the Beatles before their big television appearance?
- What did the individual in the above question tell Ringo he should do?
- In the film A Hard Day’s Night, what was the name of the exclusive club visited by Paul’s grandfather?
- What was the name of the famous pop music show that the Beatles first appeared on in March 1964?
1. In the film A Hard Day’s Night, Paul’s grandfather persuades Ringo to walk out on the Beatles before their big television appearance.
2. Ringo was told that he should go parading.
3. In the film A Hard Day’s Night, the exclusive club visited by Paul’s grandfather is named Le Circle Club. The scene was shot at Les Ambassadeurs.
4. The Beatles first appeared on Top Of The Pops in March 1964.